Change the World – February 24, 2018
Introduction: Following Jesus -> Sending the 72 -> Blueprint for changing the world
Big Idea: Jesus is sending us to prepare the way (with three things)
Scripture: Luke 10:1-22 (CSB)
Luke 10:1-6 (CSB)
After this, the Lord appointed seventy-two others, and he sent them ahead of him in pairs to every town and place where he himself was about to go. He told them, “The harvest is abundant, but the workers are few. Therefore, pray to the Lord of the harvest to send out workers into his harvest. Now go; I’m sending you out like lambs among wolves. Don’t carry a money-bag, traveling bag, or sandals; don’t greet anyone along the road. Whatever house you enter, first say, ‘Peace to this household.’ If a person of peace is there, your peace will rest on him; but if not, it will return to you.
Point One: A Message of Peace
- Jesus sent out 72 disciples ahead of Him so they could practice sharing the Gospel
- The harvest is plentiful, but the workers are few (pray for others to join us)
- They were to be like lambs among wolves (message and method both of peace)
- Showing hospitality and working together (family/network/movement vs. institution)
Luke 10:17-20 (CSB)
The seventy-two returned with joy, saying, “Lord, even the demons submit to us in your name.”
He said to them, “I watched Satan fall from heaven like lightning. Look, I have given you the authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and over all the power of the enemy; nothing at all will harm you. However, don’t rejoice that the spirits submit to you, but rejoice that your names are written in heaven.”
Point Two: Authority Over Evil
- They disciples were amazed that their faith in Jesus allowed them to cast out demons
- How we live out our faith has spiritual consequences (spiritual warfare)
- Jesus promises His disciples protection but also warns them against pride
- We must overcome our fear in order to help others find freedom in Christ
Luke 10:21-22 (CSB)
At that time he rejoiced in the Holy Spirit and said, “I praise you, Father,Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and intelligent and revealed them to infants. Yes, Father, because this was your good pleasure. All things have been entrusted to me by my Father. No one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and anyone to whom the Son desires to reveal him.”
Point Three: Childlike Faith
- The Gospel was given to regular people rather than to prophets and kings
- Religious and political leaders often corrupt the message in order to retain power
- We must learn to let go of our own bias and strive for a more innocent childlike faith
- The only way to truly know God is through Jesus (die to the world and be made alive in Christ)
In what ways can we be ‘people of peace’ in these divisive times?
How can we overcome fear in order to help others find freedom in Christ?
What does the phrase ‘childlike faith’ mean to you?