Unfortunately, it seems being Christian is often equated to having to act like you are better than everyone else. This is the exact opposite of how it is supposed to be. To be Christian is to exude such virtues as love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control because of our love and reverence of Jesus. Due to all the misrepresentations out there, I just want to take a moment to share some thoughts on being Christian.
1. Being Christian means first admitting there is something bigger than yourself and that you can’t reach God on your own. (The word “sin” represents anything that comes between you and God).
“You see, all have sinned, and all their futile attempts to reach God in His glory fail.” – Romans 3:23 (The Voice)
2. Being Christian means admitting living for yourself means nothing. (Again, the word “sin” represents anything that comes between you and God).
“Work hard for sin your whole life and your pension is death. But God’s gift is real life, eternal life, delivered by Jesus, our Master.” – Romans 6:23 (The Message)
3. Being Christian means recognizing you have a Heavenly Father who loves you no matter how much you mess up.
“But think about this: while we were wasting our lives in sin, God revealed His powerful love to us in a tangible display – the Anointed One died for us.” – Romans 5:8 (The Voice)
4. Being Christian means allowing Jesus to be Lord and King so you can be made whole and so your life will have lasting meaning.
“For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” – Romans 10:13 (ESV)
5. Being Christian means no matter how tough your life becomes, you will receive an eternal prize that no one can take from you.
“So if you believe deep in your heart that God raised Jesus from the pit of death and if you voice your allegiance by confessing the truth that “Jesus is Lord,” then you will be saved! Belief begins in the heart and leads to a life that’s right with God; confession departs from our lips and brings eternal salvation.” – Romans 10:9-10 (The Voice)
6. Being Christian means nothing can separate you from the love of your Heavenly Father.
“For I am sure that neither death nor life, nor angels nor rulers, nor things present nor things to come, nor powers, nor height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God in Christ Jesus our Lord.” – Romans 8:38-39 (ESV)
Being Christian should be equated to being humble because of our recognition of how big and how good God is. If this type of Christianity sounds good to you, and you are anywhere near Lexington Ohio, then you are invited to come check out a new prayer/worship movement called Six Thirty Sunday Nite. If you are anywhere else in the world, please consider taking a moment every Six Thirty Sunday Nite to pray with us. Also, be on the lookout for podcasts and other online resources that will come out of this new movement. Remember, God is love and to serve Him means to love everyone, even those who the world – or even the church – says are unlovable.