Save the World – March 31, 2018
Introduction: Following Jesus -> the resurrection -> what Jesus came back to say
Big Idea: We are called to make disciples of all nations (Jesus came to save us all).
Scripture: Matthew 28:16-20 (CSB)
Matthew 28:16-20 (CSB)
The eleven disciples traveled to Galilee, to the mountain where Jesus had directed them. When they saw him, they worshiped, but some doubted. Jesus came near and said to them, “All authority has been given to me in heaven and on earth. Go, therefore, and make disciples of[e] all nations,baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe everything I have commanded you. And remember, I am with you always, to the end of the age.”
Point One: (Make Disciples of) All Nations
- All nations -> does not only apply to international missions (nations = tribe / people group)
- What nations can you reach? The Eleven began by preaching to the people who killed Jesus
- Make disciples -> before discipline, there needs to be an invitation to follow Jesus
- Have you accepted the invitation? Have you extended that invitation to others?
Point Two: (Baptizing Them in Name of) the Father, Son & Holy Spirit
- Baptism -> an outward sign of an inward change (a public declaration of joining the Church)
- The Father -> God, Creator of all things, loves us deeply (seek His will -> pray)
- The Son -> Jesus, Prince of Peace, the Promised Messiah, gave His life for us (follow His example -> grow)
- Holy Spirit -> Helper, Comforter, Counselor, guides us and binds us together (do God’s will -> serve)
Point Three: (Teaching Them) All that I Taught You
- Great Commandment -> Love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind and with all your strength
- Does every aspect of your life center around loving and honoring your Father in heaven? (Is He your number one priority?)
- Second Commandment -> Love your neighbor as yourself (who is your neighbor?)
- Just as I have loved you, you should love each other / There is no greater love than to lay down one’s life for one’s friends.
- What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus?
- Have you been baptized? If not, what is holding you back?
- How can we show the love of Christ to the world?